Having driven a car in Malaysia for over 20 years, one of the most common sights that I have come across is cars having had to pull over by the side of the road due to completely smashed up windscreen. More often than not, they are caused by the stones on the road that get thrown up by moving cars or little pebbles falling off from the back of trucks. No matter how careful you are as a driver, there is no way to avoid these dangerous little projectiles.
Having a valid car insurance is a must if you want to take your car out on the road unless you don’t mind paying for a hefty fine. But many don’t realize that the car insurance plans that they purchase do not by default cover for losses and damages of their car windscreen and glass windows. That’s right. This means without the right insurance cover, your smashed windscreen is likely to cause an unpleasant financial setback.
What is a windscreen insurance cover?
Windscreen insurance is an add-on coverage to your main car insurance policy. It covers your front and back windscreens, all door window and sunroof glass window. Windscreen insurance will cover the cost needed to repair or replace these glass parts in case they are damaged. Having this add-on cover, you do not need to pay for the repair or replacement cost yourself. This is useful not only because it is expensive to replace your windscreen, but also windscreens are the most susceptible part of your car to get damaged by flying objects.
However, this add-on cover is not available for all types of car insurances. It is only available when you purchase a comprehensive plan. Read below to understand the 3 different types of car insurance plans.
How can you get it?
Whenever you renew your car insurance (remember, only comprehensive cover), let your agent know that you’d like to add this cover to your main policy. But don’t worry, your insurance agent will usually remind you if you forget. If you normally renew on your own via online or at the post office, just be sure to include this in.
However, this add-on cover does not necessarily be purchased when you are renewing your car policy. Instead it can be done anytime. So this would be a good time to check if your existing car policy has this add on cover. If it doesn’t, just inform your agent or call your insurance company.
Below is a sample of windscreen add-on cover offered by Syarikat Takaful Malaysia myClick Motor takaful online. Adding this cover to your comprehensive policy is easy and seamless with the renewal process. To renew with Takaful Malaysia, click here.
How much does it cost?
This additional cover will cost you 15% of the sum insured for your windscreen. For instance, if the price to replace your car’s windscreen is estimated to be around RM 1,000, you will need to pay an additional RM 150 (15% of RM 1,000) on top of your comprehensive car insurance premium.
To help you understand on the cost benefits, imagine if you’ve had an accident where your windscreen is broken.
Without a windscreen insurance
– Although you save RM 150, you will have to pay RM 1,000 yourself to get it replaced.
– Alternatively, you may choose to claim from your comprehensive cover to replace the broken windscreen. But the major disadvantage here is that you will lose your NCD. This causes a bigger loss as your NCD resets to zero and your car insurance premium becomes more expensive the following year.
With a windscreen cover
– Although you would have to spend an additional RM 150 for windscreen cover, but in case of an accident such as this, you save RM 850.
– You can claim from your windscreen plan while leaving your main comprehensive policy untouched. No change in your NCD means more cost saving to you.
A few things to take note of about your windscreen insurance
1. Over and under insurance
Do not over insure your car windscreen and do not under insure it either. It is best that you find out how much it is to replace your windscreen plus the labor cost in order to insure adequately.
The problem with under-insuring your windscreen is that although you save a little bit on premium, when an accident occurs, your insurance company will only pay up to the sum insured. This may not be enough to cover the cost of replacing your windscreen.
While the problem with over-insuring is that you will end up paying more on premium than needed.
2. Your cover ends once your claim(s) have reached the sum insured
Contrary to popular belief, your windscreen cover does not end when your main comprehensive policy ends. Instead, it ends as soon as you have filed claims and reached the sum insured. So in such a case, although your main car insurance policy is still valid, you will no longer be protected for any damages against your windscreen. To enjoy continuous protection, you will need to make a new purchase. However, if you made a claim but did not reach your full sum insured amount, you may continue to get coverage for the remaining amount.
To illustrate: In January, you renewed your car comprehensive policy along with your windscreen insurance. You have paid RM150 for a sum insured of RM 1,000 for your windscreen. In February, you found a small crack on one of the windows and brought your car to the panel workshop for repair. The cost of repair was RM 250. So in this case, you still have coverage for the amount of RM 750.
How to claim for damaged windscreen?
Here is what you need to do:
1. Send your car to an authorized panel workshop. If you don’t know of any, please contact your insurance agent, or call your insurance company to find out one nearest to you. Sending your car to a non-panel workshop may result in complications to claim or your claim being rejected!
2. Fill out the claims form at the workshop. Let them know that you would like to claim from your insurance company and they should know what to do. If unsure, contact your agent or insurance company.
3. Once your car is fixed with a brand new windscreen, you may take it home. Only paperwork is needed. You should not have to pay for the cost to repair or replace, including labor charges. They should be covered by your insurance plan.
For more information about windscreen insurance, we encourage you to watch the video below. Enjoy!
13,136 total views, 116 views today